[SciPy-User] Turnover Optimization

Emanuele Olivetti emanuele@relativita....
Thu Jul 29 03:47:41 CDT 2010

On 07/28/2010 05:11 PM, Lorenzo Isella wrote:
> Dear All,
> I hope this is not too off-topic.
> I am working on a problem that, without too much details, resembles the
> time allocation of work shifts.

Hi Lorenzo,

I used to play with this kind of problems while a I was working
on a symbolic model checker years ago [0]. Basically you have a
language that let you describe the basic variables of the problem
and the constraints. Then you state that there is no assignment
of the variables (i.e., allocation of shifts) that satisfies all the
constraints
and let the model checker prove whether you are right in
your statement or wrong. If you are wrong, i.e., there is an allocation
that 'solves'
your problem, then the model checker will find it and present it
to you. As far as I remember you don't have the full list of possible
solutions as output, but just one solution, the first met by the
model checker while exploring the search space.

Maybe this approach is an overkill with respect your needs. Surely
it is flexible because it has a language with whom you can play and
express many different problems.

Best,

Emanuele

[0]: http://nusmv.fbk.eu/