[SciPy-User] Gaussian filter on an angle

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus@yale....
Fri Jun 4 09:36:36 CDT 2010

On Jun 4, 2010, at 6:38 AM, Anne Archibald wrote:

> On 4 June 2010 06:00, Matthieu Brucher <matthieu.brucher@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to blur an angle field, but it's not easy ;)
>> Applying gaussian_filter (from ndimage) on the sinus and the cos is
>> not enough to have a smooth angle field, and of course applying
>> gaussian_filter directly on the angle field does not yeild
>> satisfactiry results.
>> Does anyone know of a function (even if it not in Python yet) that
>> could gaussian filter an angle field? Something like a Riemanian
>> filter (instead of an Euclidian one)...
>
> This isn't my field, but I suspect you will have problems with this.
> In particular, there is a *topological* obstacle to blurring angle
> fields. In the blurred field, you want each angle to be close to that
> of nearby pixels. But imagine following the angle around the image in
> a circle: the angle changes by one full turn as you go around this
> loop. Any smoothing mechanism must either introduce a discontinuity in
> this loop or retain one full turn around the loop.

Anne's quite right -- I've banged my head on things like this before
too. I have a different idea about how to get around these issues, in
a killing-a-gnat-with-a-bazooka kind of way, though: you might be able
to pose this question as one of smoothing via curve-fitting instead of
via filtering?

E.g. fit a bivariate spline or some other polynomial surface to your
angles in such a was as to minimize not the squared residuals
directly, but the square of the minimum angle between the fit surface
at that point and the data (going clockwise or counterclockwise,
whichever is smaller... I forget exactly but there's a closed-form way
to calculate that). This way you get a smooth underlying fit in a way
that is (I think?) immune to discontinuities in the angle data.

Problem is either this will be very slow (fitting a many-parameter
surface) or probably over-smooth (fitting a low-parameter surface).
There are probably some multi-resolution methods you could use. I
think the nonlinear least squares optimizers in scipy would be the way
to go here?

Zach