[SciPy-User] corrcoef and dump

R. Padraic Springuel R.Springuel@umit.maine....
Thu Jun 24 12:27:05 CDT 2010

Is there a version of corrcoef in numpy that doesn't return a matrix
output?  I'm trying to calculate a 15x15 matrix of correlation
coefficients, but my program is crashing with a MemoryError during the
calculations.  As a result, I'd like to break up the calculations to
ease the memory load.  If I feed corrcoef the lists in a pairwise
fashion, then I don't need the matrix format of the output, and indeed
would find it slightly easier if it wasn't matrix formated (though
ultimately I can deal with the matrix format if needed).

Also, if I dump an ndarray to file and that array later changes in a
program, will the file be updated to reflect the changes?  I didn't
think so originally, but I have a program that dumps an array to file
which is working in a DropBox folder and got a notice that the file was
written, and then a couple of minutes later that it was updated.  Since
there is only one dump command in the program, this makes me suspect
that the mutable nature of the array is being played with by the program
(accidentally, but that's a separate issue) and then redumping the array.
--

R. Padraic Springuel
Research Assistant