[SciPy-User] Matlab trademark - was: Re: SciPy-User Digest, Vol 82, Issue 49

Benjamin Root ben.root@ou....
Fri Jun 25 14:14:44 CDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > It also requires that we restrict ourselves to descriptive use of the
> > trademarked term.  Calling a module "matlab", even as part of
> > "scipy.io.matlab", might not be in line with the latter requirement,
>
> I'm going to suggest 'scipy.io.matfiles' again.  Then there's no
> trademark in the name, as far as I am aware.

+1
I am working on the documentation and I was just about to suggest something
like "scipy.io.matfile" because that is what the file type is called.  This
would be consistent with the other modules in scipy.io such as netcdf and
arff.  This would also make it very self-documenting.  Users will not be
confused that there isn't anything more related to matlab in the
scipy.io.matlab section.

I propose moving the scipy/io/matlab directory to scipy/io/matfile and have
the __init__.py file for scipy.io to import scipy.io.matfile as matlab.  I
don't know if that works for all of the ways one would call that module.
Also, is there any sort of way to make a deprecation warning fire for
importing scipy.io.matlab, but not for scipy.io.matfile?  I never had to do
any sort of fancy module setup, so I am not sure what is best.

Ben Root