[SciPy-User] solving linear algebra and substitute in diff equations reg.

Sebastian Walter sebastian.walter@gmail....
Sat Jun 26 14:43:08 CDT 2010

There are dedicated solvers for Differential Algebraic Equations (DAEs).
However, no such solver is included in scipy, at least not in the
version that I got.
There is a sprint on ODEs in the upcoming scipy conference.
http://conference.scipy.org/scipy2010/sprints.html.
I don't know if they are going to discuss DAEs,  but in the scikit
http://scipy.org/scipy/scikits/browser/trunk/odes/scikits/odes/dae.py
there seems to be some support for DAEs. So possibly, DAEs may be
supported in scipy in the future.

In the meantime, you could try http://pysundials.sourceforge.net/
which are bindings to SUNDIALS. I haven't used pysundails, but it's
certainly worth a shot.

Personally I'm using Python bindings to SolvIND
(http://www.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/~Jan.Albersmeyer/solvind/).
This software is powerful and versatile. However, it is not open source.

Sebastian