[SciPy-User] Matlab trademark - was: Re: SciPy-User Digest, Vol 82, Issue 49

Benjamin Root ben.root@ou....
Mon Jun 28 23:19:01 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Kenneth Arnold <kenneth.arnold@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>> > I propose moving the scipy/io/matlab directory to scipy/io/matfile and
>> have
>> > the __init__.py file for scipy.io to import scipy.io.matfile as
>> matlab.  I
>> > don't know if that works for all of the ways one would call that module.
>> > Also, is there any sort of way to make a deprecation warning fire for
>> > importing scipy.io.matlab, but not for scipy.io.matfile?  I never had to
>> do
>> > any sort of fancy module setup, so I am not sure what is best.
>>
>> I think that won't work
>> for people who have done things like
>>
>> import scipy.io.matlab
>>
>> or
>>
>> from scipy.io.matlab import loadmat
>>
>> and I'm not sure what would, apart from a symbolic link - but then I
>> don't know how you'd raise the deprecation warning.
>>

> You could put the following in scipy/io/matlab.py:
>
> import warnings
> warnings.warn(...)
> from scipy.io.matfile import *
>
> -Ken

Ok, I think that would work very nicely for those who directly import
scipy.io.matlab.  Something else will have to be done for the __init__.py
file for scipy.io.  If currently imports from "matlab.mio" and
"matlab.byteordercodes".  Also, it makes available a "matlab" namespace
somehow when you import scipy.io.

(Note that there is currently a "matlab" directory in scipy/io directory
with its own __init__.py and other parts to do file reading and writing.)

How does that fit in with everything?

Ben Root