[SciPy-User] Google Summer of Code...

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Mon Mar 1 17:01:18 CST 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Christopher Barker
<Chris.Barker@noaa.gov> wrote:
> Are we going to try to get some sciPy project in GSoC under the Python
> umbrella this year? Or might it be worth applying to be a mentoring
> organization?

We will definitely be going under the PSF umbrella.  In the past, I've
discussed whether we should apply as a mentoring organization with
Chris DiBona and he has repeatedly strongly encouraged me not to do
that.  He much prefers us remaining under the PSF umbrella.

Moreover, even if Google was interested in us being our own mentoring
organization, I don't see any reason we should pursue it.  It is a
fair bit of additional administrative work for potentially very little
gain.  If we were set up as our own mentoring organization, I am
fairly certain there is no chance we would get any additional reserved
slots.  As far as I remember, the PSF has always given us as many (or
more) scipy-related slots as we request based on the applications that
come in and our pool of potential mentors.

If you are interested in mentoring this year, please register for these lists:

Feel free to add ideas or edit the existing ones here:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/wiki/SummerofCodeIdeas

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman