[SciPy-User] splmake gone from documentation

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith@gmail....
Tue Mar 2 14:42:20 CST 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Jason Grout <jason-sage@creativetrax.com>wrote:

> I'm teaching a numerical analysis class and we are talking about
> different kinds of splines.  I notice in some old scipy documentation
> that splmake is a nice function for making different kinds of splines
> (i.e., clamped, free, not_a_knot, etc.).  However, I can't find splmake
> in the reference documentation at http://docs.scipy.org/doc/ in either
> the 0.7 or 0.8dev docs.  I see splmake in my 0.7.0 installation, though
> (in the interpolate/interpolate.py file).

It also appears in the scipy doc editor:

    http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy.interpolate.interpolate.splmake/

though with a pretty deficient docstring (perhaps you'd be willing to fix
that?) ;-)

I confirmed that it doesn't appear online at:

    http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/interpolate.html

but I can't say why; perhaps because it's "buried" in module
interpolate.interpolate?  (The latter also being absent from the above
online reference page.)

> Is the function splmake deprecated?  I also notice that it is called (in
> the code) in the interp1d class init function,

This suggests to me that the sub-package designer(s) considered splmake to
be a "pseudo-private" method, primarily to be used internally within the
sub-package and too low level for general use, but that would certainly beg
your next question.

> but it's impossible to
> specify the type (e.g., a clamped spline).  Is there a reason why the
> kind argument is not passed to splmake?

Definitely someone else will have to answer that, sorry. :-(  (Not that my
answers above are all that useful...)

DG