[SciPy-User] splmake gone from documentation

Jason Grout jason-sage@creativetrax....
Tue Mar 2 16:01:52 CST 2010

On 03/02/2010 01:45 PM, Jason Grout wrote:
> I'm teaching a numerical analysis class and we are talking about
> different kinds of splines.  I notice in some old scipy documentation
> that splmake is a nice function for making different kinds of splines
> (i.e., clamped, free, not_a_knot, etc.).  However, I can't find splmake
> in the reference documentation at http://docs.scipy.org/doc/ in either
> the 0.7 or 0.8dev docs.  I see splmake in my 0.7.0 installation, though
> (in the interpolate/interpolate.py file).
>
> Is the function splmake deprecated?  I also notice that it is called (in
> the code) in the interp1d class init function, but it's impossible to
> specify the type (e.g., a clamped spline).  Is there a reason why the
> kind argument is not passed to splmake?

Digging a bit more, it seems that the splmake function is somewhat
inoperable; that would explain why it's not in the docs.  Apparently it
looks for a '_find_%s'%kind function (e.g., _find_clamped function),
which should specify the right conditions for a clamped spline.
However, this and similar functions look like:

def _find_clamped(xk, yk, order, conds, B):
     raise NotImplementedError
     return _find_user(xk, yk, order, conds, B)

So a user just gets a NotImplementedError whenever trying to create
pretty much any kind of spline using the kind argument of splmake.

On the other hand, there is a function _get_spline3_Bb that appears to
have some of the conditions specified (i.e., there is a switch
statement, and there are some conditions for 'clamped', for example, but
I haven't checked if these conditions are correct).  However,
_get_spline3_Bb is not called from anything.  I don't know what to make
of that!

Thanks for your help and time,

Jason

--