[SciPy-User] splmake gone from documentation

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith@gmail....
Tue Mar 2 17:04:01 CST 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Jason Grout <jason-sage@creativetrax.com>wrote:

> On 03/02/2010 01:45 PM, Jason Grout wrote:
> > I'm teaching a numerical analysis class and we are talking about
> > different kinds of splines.  I notice in some old scipy documentation
> > that splmake is a nice function for making different kinds of splines
> > (i.e., clamped, free, not_a_knot, etc.).  However, I can't find splmake
> > in the reference documentation at http://docs.scipy.org/doc/ in either
> > the 0.7 or 0.8dev docs.  I see splmake in my 0.7.0 installation, though
> > (in the interpolate/interpolate.py file).
> >
> > Is the function splmake deprecated?  I also notice that it is called (in
> > the code) in the interp1d class init function, but it's impossible to
> > specify the type (e.g., a clamped spline).  Is there a reason why the
> > kind argument is not passed to splmake?
> >

> Digging a bit more, it seems that the splmake function is somewhat
> inoperable; that would explain why it's not in the docs.  Apparently it
> looks for a '_find_%s'%kind function (e.g., _find_clamped function),
> which should specify the right conditions for a clamped spline.
> However, this and similar functions look like:
>
> def _find_clamped(xk, yk, order, conds, B):
>     raise NotImplementedError
>     return _find_user(xk, yk, order, conds, B)
>
> So a user just gets a NotImplementedError whenever trying to create
> pretty much any kind of spline using the kind argument of splmake.
>
> On the other hand, there is a function _get_spline3_Bb that appears to
> have some of the conditions specified (i.e., there is a switch
> statement, and there are some conditions for 'clamped', for example, but
> I haven't checked if these conditions are correct).  However,
> _get_spline3_Bb is not called from anything.  I don't know what to make
> of that!
>
> Thanks for your help and time,
>
> Jason

This is pretty embarrassing: it should either be implemented or cleared out,
IMO. I searched the scipy tickets for interpolate NotImplementedError and
got no hits (plenty of hits for interpolate and NotImplementedError, though)
so I'm turning this into a ticket; if I'm wrong about it being a "bug,"
someone will just mark it "Will not fix" (and presumably explain why.)

DG