[SciPy-User] Compiling scipy.sparse.sparsetools extension throws g++ internal error

David Cournapeau david@silveregg.co...
Mon Mar 8 21:21:11 CST 2010

Diederik van Liere wrote:

> error: Command "g++ -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3
> -Wall -fPIC -I/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/core/include
> -I/usr/local/include/python2.6 -c scipy/sparse/sparsetools/csr_wrap.cxx -o
> build/temp.linux-i686-2.6/scipy/sparse/sparsetools/csr_wrap.o" failed with
> exit status 1

What's the version of g++ ?

> and I really don't know how to fix this. I have tried both Numpy 1.3.0 and
> the latest Numpy SVN version but to no avail. I hope someone can point me in
> the right direction.

Changing numpy version is unlikely to fix anything here, as the error is
a crash from the C++ compiler.

One solution would be to update gcc (by compiling your own version), or
more simply, if you don't need scipy.sparse to disable it in
scipy/setup.py by commenting the sparse line.

David