[SciPy-User] <transferred from Scipy-Dev>Re: Seeking help/ advice for applying functions

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Mar 9 13:59:15 CST 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 13:51, eat <e.antero.tammi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not only that I'm new to Scipy/ Numpy but I'm new to python aswell.
> I think I assumed that once python functions get compiled they'll would be
> (almost) as efficient than builtins.

No, not at all. Python functions do not get compiled to machine code.
They get compiled to Python bytecode, but that Python bytecode is
interpreted. Python functions have tons of overhead compared to
builtins.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."