[SciPy-User] [SciPy-user] ATLAS install has no effect

David Cournapeau david@silveregg.co...
Fri Mar 12 02:05:19 CST 2010

David Warde-Farley wrote:
> On 11-Mar-10, at 4:37 PM, Ian Goodfellow wrote:
>
>> Sure, that's a good call to know about. It looks like it's not using
>> the same setting for library_dirs as what's in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH would need to have been set at build time, not just at
> run time.

Not exactly: LD_LIBRARY_PATH only change the loader path (that is which
shared libraries are loaded when a process is started, as well as dlopen).

> AFAIK NumPy will only link ATLAS in statically (I could be
> wrong about this).

Atlas may be linked dynamically as well.

On debian, ATLAS is packaged such as it also contains a full blas/lapack
library, that is -llapack -lblas will link against ATLAS library. In
particular, you can linked against conventional, slow, blas/lapack when
building, and switching to a faster, ATLAS-enabled one - but this is
debian specific, and not supported out of the box by the ATLAS build
system. You can of course emulate what debian does by yourself if you
know what you are doing.

cheers,

David