[SciPy-User] Maximum file size for .npz format?

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Tue Mar 16 10:05:05 CDT 2010

Hey Francesc,

On 2010-03-15, at 4:16 PM, Francesc Alted <faltet@pytables.org> wrote:

> Good!  So, I should start by looking at how it achieves that then :)

Actually I did build a 4-way universal binary of HDF5. Long story
short, because of some quirks of the build process for HDF5 it isn't
possible to add some -arch flags to CFLAGS -- you actually have to
build it separately for each architecture and then do something like

	make install DESTDIR=path/for/arch

and then stitch them together manually with otool. I'm also not sure
of the correct way, if there is one, to handle "hdf5.settings" -- it's
unclear to me whether programs ever look at this at build time/
runtime, or if it's just there for the user's convenience.

An installer for the binaries I made is at

	http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~dwf/mirror/hdf5-1.8.4-quad.pkg

I can write up some instructions if that would be helpful.

David