[SciPy-User] Request for usage examples on scipy.stats.rv_continuous and scipy.ndimage.grey_dilate(structure)

Christoph Deil Deil.Christoph@googlemail....
Mon Mar 22 11:58:47 CDT 2010

Dear Robert,

thanks for the tip. I tried understanding the examples in scipy/stats/distributions.py, but being a python / scipy newbie I find the mechanism hard to understand and couldn't implement the simple examples I suggested below.

Maybe it would be possible to add an example to the tutorial? At http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy-docs/tutorial/stats.rst/#stats there is an example on how to use rv_discrete, but none on how to use rv_continuous.

Would it be possible to add a convenience function to scipy.stats that makes it easy to construct a distribution from a function:
>>> p = lambda x: x**2
>>> pdist = scipy.stats.rv_continuous_from_function(pdf=p, lim=[0,2]) # a suggestion, doesn't exist at the moment
>>> samples = pdist.rvs(size=10)

I would guess that getting random numbers from a user defined distribution function is such a common usage that it would be nice (at least for newbies like me :-) to being able to do it from the command line, without having to derive a class.

Cheers, --Christoph