[SciPy-User] Matrix indexing and updating

Jonathan Guyer guyer@nist....
Mon Nov 1 10:35:39 CDT 2010

On Oct 31, 2010, at 11:03 AM, Luca Manini wrote:

>    I'm new to this list and here comes my first question about matrix
>    indexing and updating (in scipy, of course).
>
>    I'm starting writing some code (for my wife) to solve finite elements
>    problems.

You're already getting some answers to the questions you actually asked, but let me offer an answer to a question you didn't ask:

If your (or your wife's) goal is to *solve* PDEs, rather than to write a finite element solver, let me suggest a couple of existing Pythonic solutions:

http://www.scipy.org/Topical_Software#head-3df99e31c89f2e8ff60a2622805f6a304c50101f

There are three options there (I am coauthor of one of them), and there may well be others. All of those projects are open source and would undoubted welcome contributions (certainly FiPy does), rather than inventing Yet Another Python PDE Solver.

Of course, if the goal is to write a PDE solver, then ignore this and we look forward to seeing what you come up with.