[SciPy-User] Central File Exchange for SciPy

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Mon Nov 1 13:31:27 CDT 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 2:05 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My personal opinion is that in the long run, it would be beneficial to
>> have this 'file exchange' have BSD-only code (or public domain, since
>> employees of the US Federal government as far as I understand must
>> publish their codes under public domain terms).
>
> The flip side of this is that there are many environments in which the
> distinction between GPL and BSD is irrelevant, eg for code we deploy
> internally at work and do not distribute.  Suppose someone writes some
> really nifty code that depends on pygsl.  I would rather have access
> to it on the file exchange than not.  If the code submission dialogs
> has a choice of licenses with BSD as the default, and selection of
> non-BSD takes them to an explanation of why we prefer BSD and an "are
> you sure" dialog, then including this code is beneficial in my view.
>
>> The reason is simple:
>> snippets put there, when good, are prime candidates for integration
>> into numpy/scipy proper.  It would be a shame, and frankly somewhat
>> absurd, to have a bunch of great codes sitting on the scipy server
>> that we couldn't integrate into scipy.  At least it seems so to me...
>
> I'm not sure I agree here.  Many snippets may be more like elaborate
> examples.  Something designed to get you started that you can perturb
> off of.  For some of the stuff it may be farm league for scipy/numpy
> inclusion, but there is plenty of room for useful scripts that don't
> belong in scipy proper.  So I would err on the side of inclusion and
> very low barriers to entry.

Same with code that cannot be BSD either by infection from a part, or
because it is a translation of non-BSD code from another language.
Also, some code on the matlab fileexchange  that is labeled BSD might
not be so because it is based on (derived from, translated from, or
inspired by) non-BSD compatible code.

There are also license mixtures like
http://ab-initio.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/NLopt which is only LGPL
because a small part is LGPL:
"Free/open-source software under the GNU LGPL (and looser licenses for
some portions of NLopt)",

Josef