[SciPy-User] Central File Exchange for SciPy

Mon Nov 1 15:27:11 CDT 2010

On 10/30/10 10:00 AM, Almar Klein wrote:
> Woaw, I like your enthusiasm! However, let's first establish whether we
> should discard Pypi or if we can maybe make it suitable for our needs
> with a few changes (assuming that the rest of the Python community lets
> us make these changes).
>
> One maybe-downside is that Pypi is for Python in general. Is this a
> problem, do we want something purely for science and engineering?

I think there is a need for:

1) something focused on scientific/numerical computing

2) something suitable for tiny contributions -- just a page or two of
code -- I don't think we want hundreds of such tiny packages on PyPi.

> Given that Python is mainly BSD oriented, I would vote for making all
> code hosted at the site BSD.

It would be nice to have a public domain option, particularly for
smallish contributions.

>       Actually, one model could be that people host their code somewhere
>     else and we merely provide an aggregation service so people can
>     easily see what's out there in the scientific python universe

I think this is good, but hosting small projects directly is a critical.
One of the goals here (my interpretation of following the discussion) is
to make it really easy to throw stuff up.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov