[SciPy-User] HDF4, HDF5, netcdf solutions -- PyNIO/PyNGL or CDAT or ??

Mon Nov 1 20:28:01 CDT 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Francesc Alted <faltet@pytables.org> wrote:

> A Monday 01 November 2010 23:13:56 Zachary Pincus escrigué:
> > Ack -- I didn't mean to set off a big back and forth! I'd only wanted
> > to convey that h5py and pytables seem to serve different purposes:
> > one a "simple and thin" pythonic wrapper around the official hdf5
> > libraries, and the other seeking to provide some value-add on top of
> > that.
>
> I think the above is a good way to express the main difference between
> h5py and PyTables.  But, unfortunately, many wrong beliefs about
> packages that are similar in functionality extend in Internet without a
> solid reason behind them.  I suppose this is a consequence of the
> propagation of information in multi-user channels.  Unfortunately,
> fighting these myths is not always easy.
>
> > I guess I got something of the rationale for using h5py over pytables
> > wrong -- but there is some rationale, right? What is that?
>
> As you said above, both PyTables and h5py serve similar purposes in
> different ways, and expressing a simple rational on using one or another
> is not that easy.  If you just need HDF5 compatibility, then h5py
> *might* be enough for you.  If you want more advanced functionality,
> *might* be PyTables can offer it to you.  Also, people may like the API
> of one package better than the other.  And some people may not like the
> fact that there exist a Pro version of PyTables (although others may
> appreciate it).

I find PyTables quite a bit faster than h5py and more convenient for my own
uses. However, when I need to exchange files with folks running IDL or
Matlab on Windows it is generally safer to use h5py.

Chuck