[SciPy-User] numpy core failure

David david@silveregg.co...
Tue Nov 2 05:11:38 CDT 2010

On 11/02/2010 04:28 PM, John wrote:
> Hmm, I'll have to research 'ABI compatibility', but this is really
> surprising. I would think this is commonly done. Aren't a lot of folks
> out there working on clusters?

I am not so familiar with how people use cluster in academic
environments, but generally you would want all your machines to have the
same versions.

ABI refers to Application Binary Interface, and refers to the fact that
you can use a same binary (no recompilation) in different environments.
This is very difficult to achieve on Linux for various reasons, and you
should definitely know what you are doing to achieve it.

> I think I'm seeing the result of what you discuss especially in the
> behavior of PyNIO. On some machines we have the Ubuntu grib
> distribution, but on others I've manually installed it on a networked
> drive. It seems this may create a hopeless case! I guess one really
> needs a sys-admin who's also quite familiar with Python to accomplish
> this.
>
> I don't think at this point I'll try what you suggest, only because
> I've been pushing our IT rather aggressively to just bring all our
> boxes to 10.04

That's really what you want - you should be glad that your IT agreed on
upgrading to a new version, not that many people has this chance :)

David