[SciPy-User] which FFT, convolve functions are the fastest one?

LittleBigBrain braingateway@gmail....
Wed Nov 10 17:41:04 CST 2010

Hi everyone,

I found lots of implement of FFT and convolve
numpy.fft
scipy.fftpack
scipy.signal.fft (from the source, it seems all import from scipy.fftpack?)

As I tested, scipy.fftpack.fft is nearly as twice fast as numpy.fft.fft
But how about scipy.signal package?
I also found several convolve function:
numpy.convolve
scipy.signal.convolve
scipy.signal.fftconvolve
scipy.fftpack.convolve.convolve
Which convolve function is speeded up by LAPACK? especially those
non-FFT based convolution.
>From the source, it looks like fftpack.convolve and signal.fftconvolve
all based on fftpack, then what is the difference between them?

I also wondering scipy.signal.lfilter is based on a convolve function or not?
I take a glance at the lfilter.c, surprisingly it is a completely
naive implement via polynomial function. I hope I am wrong about this.
Should it be much faster to implement a filter function via LAPACK
convolution routine?

Thanks ahead,

LittleBigBrain