[SciPy-User] Proposal for a new data analysis toolbox

Keith Goodman kwgoodman@gmail....
Mon Nov 22 11:10:24 CST 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Dave Hirschfeld
<dave.hirschfeld@gmail.com> wrote:
> Keith Goodman <kwgoodman <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> NAME
>>
>> What should we call the package?
>>
>> Numa, numerical analysis with numpy arrays
>> Dana, data analysis with numpy arrays
>>
>> import dana as da     (da=data analysis)
>>
>> ARE YOU CRAZY?
>>
>> If you read this far, you are crazy and would be a good fit for this project.
>>

> Sounds like a useful toolbox. As it's focused on calculating various statistics
> on arrays in the presence of NaNs I would find nanstats an informative (if
> boring) name.

I like the idea of narrowing the focus to NaNs. Then maybe we could
drop the nan prefix from the function names. So std instead of nanstd.
How about Nancy (NAN + CYthon)? But nanstats is more descriptive.