[SciPy-User] Proposal for a new data analysis toolbox

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Mon Nov 22 12:27:14 CST 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Keith Goodman <kwgoodman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Please let's keep everything using the same default -- it doesn't
>>> actually make life simpler if for every function I have to squint and
>>> try to remember whether or not it's a "stats function". (Like, what's
>>> "mean"?)
>>>
>>> I think the world already has a sufficient supply of arbitrarily
>>> inconsistent scientific APIs.
>>
>> nanstd, nanmean, etc use axis=None for the default.
>
> Great -- I understood Josef as arguing that they shouldn't.

I think nanmean, nanvar, nanstd, nanmax should belong in numpy and
follow numpy convention.

But when I import scipy.stats, I expect axis=0 as default, especially
for statistical tests, and similar, where I usually assume we have
observation in rows and variables in columns as in structured arrays
or record arrays.

np.cov, np.corrcoef usually throw me off, and I am surprised if it
prints a 1000x1000 array instead of 4x4. I have a hard time
remembering rowvar=1. I would prefer axis=0 or axis=1 for correlations
and covariances.

So it's mainly a question about the default when axis=None doesn't
make much sense.

Josef