[SciPy-User] Proposal for a new data analysis toolbox

Alan G Isaac alan.isaac@gmail....
Mon Nov 22 15:32:19 CST 2010

On 11/22/2010 12:47 PM, Keith Goodman wrote:
> For group_mean I think axis=0 makes more sense. Wes and Josef prefer
> axis=0, I think. I'm fine with that but would like to hear more
> opinions.

I'd prefer the following.

1. Whenever the operation can sensibly be applied to a 1d array,
make the default: axis=None.

2. If the operation cannot sensibly be applied to a 1d array,
provide no default.  (I.e., force axis specification.)

In other words: remove guessing by the user.

Alan Isaac