[SciPy-User] Proposal for a new data analysis toolbox

Wed Nov 24 01:56:53 CST 2010

On 11/23/2010 10:17 PM, Keith Goodman wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Sebastian Haase<seb.haase@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> Based on the feedback I got on the scipy and numpy lists, I expanded
>>> the focus of the Nanny project from A to B, where
>>>
>>> A = Faster, drop-in replacement of the NaN functions in Numpy and Scipy
>>> B = Fast, NaN-aware descriptive statistics of NumPy arrays
>>>
>>> I also renamed the project from Nanny to dsna (descriptive statistics
>>> of numpy arrays) and dropped the nan prefix from all function names
>>> (the package is simpler if all functions are NaN aware). A description
>>> of the project can be found in the readme file here:
>>>
>>> http://github.com/kwgoodman/dsna
>>>
>> Nanny did have the advantage of being "catchy" - and easy to remember... !
>> no chance of remembering a 4 ("random") letter sequence....
>> If you want to change the name, I suggest including the idea of
>> speed/cython/.. or so -- wasn't that the original idea ....
>>
> I couldn't come up with anything. I actually named the project STAT
> but then couldn't import ipython because python has a stat module.
> Ugh. I'd like a better name so I am open to suggestions. Even an
> unrelated word would be good, you know, like Maple.

This feels like the kind of functionality that, once it is there, people
might start to take for granted. In those cases I think finding a boring
name is proper :-)

So how about something boring under the scikits namespace.
scikits.datautils, scikits.arraystats, ...

If one wants to be cute, perhaps "scikits.missing", for functions that
deal well with missing data (unless I misunderstand, I don't use NaN
much myself).

I guess "Missing" by itself would be rather un-Googlable :-)

Dag Sverre