[SciPy-User] Proposal for a new data analysis toolbox

Keith Goodman kwgoodman@gmail....
Wed Nov 24 11:05:59 CST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not for placing arbitrary restrictions or having a strict
> enumeration on what goes in this library. I think having a practical,
> central dumping ground for data analysis tools would be beneficial. We
> could decide about having "spin-off" libraries later if we think
> that's appropriate.

I'd like to start small (I've already bitten off more than I can chew)
by delivering a well thought out (and implemented) small feature set.
Functions of the form:

sum(arr, axis=None)
move_sum(arr, window, axis=0)
group_sum(arr, label, axis)

where sum can be replaced by a long (to be decided) list of functions
such as std, max, median, etc.

Once that is delivered and gets some use, I'm sure we'll want to push
into new territory. What do you suggest for the next feature to add?

So it could be that we are talking about the same end point but are
thinking about different development models. I cringe at the thought
of the package becoming a dumping ground.