[SciPy-User] Proposal for a new data analysis toolbox

Keith Goodman kwgoodman@gmail....
Wed Nov 24 15:43:33 CST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Sebastian Haase <seb.haase@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Keith Goodman <kwgoodman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I would like to throw in one of my favorite functions that I
>>> implemented years ago using (templated) SWIG:
>>>
>>> mmms()  calculates min,max,mean and standard deviation in one run.
>>> While - by using SWIG function templates - it can handle multiple
>>> dtypes efficiently (without data copy) I never even attempted to
>>> handle striding or axes...
>>> Similiarly mmm()  ( that is minmaxmean() ) might be also good to have,
>>> if one really needs to not waste the (little?!) extra time of
>>> compiling the sum of the squares (for the std.dev).
>>>
>>> I you added this kind of function to the new toolbox, I would be happy
>>> to benchmark it against my venerable (simpler) SWIG version...
>>
>> What are your timings compared to say mean_1d_float64_axis0(arr)?
>
> Sorry, I don't have Cygwin set up yet -- I would need binaries. I have
> a  win32, a win64, lin32 and lin64 platform, I could use to test...
> (iow, no mac)

I'm sure we can get someone to build the win binarys when the first
first (preview) release is ready. But for a quick timing test, how
about lin64?

Would a minmax() be useful? Shouldn't add much time to a regular min or max.

A friend mentioned that he would like a function that returned both
the max and its location. That's a possibility too.

But first the basics...