[SciPy-User] ANN: IEP 2.3 (the Interactive Editor for Python)

Almar Klein almar.klein@gmail....
Sat Nov 27 04:32:03 CST 2010

On 26 November 2010 21:30, Sebastian Haase <seb.haase@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Almar Klein <almar.klein@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am pleased to announce version 2.3 of IEP, the interactive Editor for
> > Python.
> >
> > IEP is a cross-platform Python IDE focused on interactivity and
> > introspection, which makes it very suitable for scientific computing. Its
> > practical design is aimed at simplicity and efficiency.
> >
> > website: http://code.google.com/p/iep/
> > downloads: http://code.google.com/p/iep/downloads/list (binaries are
> > available for Windows, Linux and Mac)
> > group: http://groups.google.com/group/iep_
> >
> > Release notes (see here for more):
> > - IEP now uses the BSD license (instead of GPL).
> > - Binaries are now also available for 64bit Linux and Mac.
> > - Improved the interactive help; it looks better and can show numpy
> > docstrings well.
> > - Source structure tool can now also show class attributes (in addition
> > methods).
> > - New Workspace tool.
> > - New File browser tool which has the ability to search inside files.
> > - New (very limited) webbrowser tool.
> > - IEP uses the guisupport.py module to integrate the event loops for GUI
> > toolkits.
> > - The GTK event loop can now also be integrated.
> > - Many bug/issue fixes ...
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> >   Almar
>
> Hi Almar,
>
> this is really very exciting - congratulations !!
> What do you mean by:   - The GTK event loop can now also be integrated.
> ?
> How does this compare to how it was done before ?
> And what would you do for wxPython ?

In "shell > edit shell configurations" you can set which GUI toolkit event
loop to integrate. IEP now also supports GTK in addition to TK, Qt4, WX, and
FLTK.

When an event loop is integrated it means you can use that toolkit
interactively (without starting its main loop). For example for interactive
plotting with matplotlib or visvis. Or for testing GUI apps.

  Almar