[SciPy-User] Accurate Frequency Measurement

Seth Nickell snickell@gmail....
Tue Nov 30 00:30:41 CST 2010

I'm indeed evaluating partials, analyzing some of the interesting
analog sine tone installations of the composer La Monte Young. S/N of
most of the recordings is favorable, and the recordings are long, so I
have good material to work with. I've achieved good enough frequency
estimation using power of 2 length (sigh, should have done this before
asking for help) with an fft, but I greatly appreciate the ideas
charles and anne have raise as I analyze these further.

I'm finding Anne's suggestion very interesting because padding is
allowing me to analyze the nature of the analog oscillators in more
depth; they certainly aren't perfect.

Young's compositions are so dependent on minutia such as oscillator
drift that it wouldn't surprise me if some aspects of the effects he
evokes are dependent on e.g. the amplitude stability of an oscillator.
Certainly frequency drift is something he utilizes.

SNTLN is very interesting in its own right and I'm enjoying reading up on it.

Thanks very much!