[SciPy-User] Bottleneck

Keith Goodman kwgoodman@gmail....
Tue Nov 30 15:57:23 CST 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Keith Goodman <kwgoodman@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 1) How necessary is scipy as a dependency? It'd be nice to have these
>> for numpy-only stuff. As  a rule, Scipy is way too inter-meshed as it is
>> -- I'd love to have more packages that you could easily install and use
>> without the whole scipy package.
>
> I use SciPy for benchmarking (scipy.stats.nanmean, nanstd, etc). I
> also unit test the moving window functions against a version that uses
> scipy.ndimage. But I could make scipy optional in a later release.

Oh, wait. I unit test bn.nanstd etc against scipy.stats.nanstd etc. I
could pull those scipy functions into the project but I'd like to make
sure that Bottleneck gives the same result as whatever version of
scipy the user has installed so that they can be confident that
bn.nanstd is a drop-in replacement for scipy.stats.nanstd.