[SciPy-User] scipy.io.loadmat error when trying to read a .mat file

Dharhas Pothina Dharhas.Pothina@twdb.state.tx...
Mon Oct 4 10:24:33 CDT 2010

Pauli,

It looks like it fails with files generated by one of our instruments. I was able to read in another type of matlab file qithout a problem. I think I was able to read this type of file in a previous version of scipy (can't tell you which one now, it was a long time ago), when I had tested our ability to read this type of file. I also tried scipy v0.7.0 installed on one of our linux boxes just know and it gave me the same error (but not the warning). Running the test suite on the windows box gave me three errors listed below, on linux (w/ ver scipy 7.0) all tests passed. I've posted two sample files at the links below. On windows I'm installed with the scipy-0.8.0-win32-superpack-python2.6.exe binary.

sample files:

http://midgewater.twdb.state.tx.us/bays_estuaries/Publications\20100819125947.mat (~330KB)
http://midgewater.twdb.state.tx.us/bays_estuaries/Publications\20100819102442.mat (~18mb)

scipy.io test errors on windows 32 bit:

ERROR: test_complex (test_array_import.TestReadArray)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\scipy\io\tests\test_array_import.py", line 38, in test_complex

    io.write_array(fname,a)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'write_array'

ERROR: test_float (test_array_import.TestReadArray)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\scipy\io\tests\test_array_import.py", line 46, in test_float
    io.write_array(fname,a)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'write_array'

ERROR: test_integer (test_array_import.TestReadArray)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\scipy\io\tests\test_array_import.py", line 55, in test_integer

    io.write_array(fname,a)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'write_array'

Ran 386 tests in 8.061s

FAILED (errors=3)
Out[7]: <nose.result.TextTestResult run=386 errors=3 failures=0>

- dharhas