[SciPy-User] ide for numpy?

Neal Becker ndbecker2@gmail....
Wed Oct 6 08:24:24 CDT 2010

josef.pktd@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Have a look at Spyder. It's Matlab-like and comes with a number of
>>> goodies like Pylint integration.
>>>
>>> Alex
>>
>> Spyder is definitely worth looking at. I prefer using emacs and ipython
>> for most of what I do but my less technical colleagues have found spyder
>> easier to use. The interface is more matlab like and also it doesn't feel
>> like they are having to muck around in the command line for stuff like
>> changing directories and running scripts etc.
>
> I have been using Spyder for more than a year as my main interactive
> shell. The new 2.0 is currently in beta, and has a few problems left,
> but looks very good, especially coming from a matlab ide experience.
> Now, it also has a ipython shell integrated (with matlab like name
> space pollution, "from mlab import *", by default).
>
> I wouldn't recommend eclipse for non-software-developers. I like it to
> get around in a package, but I found the views confusing when I
> started with it and, the pydev version that I use doesn't come with an
> interactive shell.
>
> Otherwise my favorite is IDLE, plain and simple and (almost) no magic.
>
> Josef

I'm trying spyder 2.0beta4.  Looks interesting, but I'm not quite sure how
to use it.

I was expecting to load a program, then be able to set breakpoints, and
examine variables.

I see I can use the interactive console to manually enter:
u = np.arange (10)

and then see it in variable window and right click to plot.

I can set a breakpoint in my source code (displayed on the left in editor),
but only does something if I run using debug.  But running from debug puts
me in pdb.  Not sure if trying to do everything under pdb is newb friendly.
Am I missing something?