[SciPy-User] scipy.sparse.linalg.cg statistics?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Oct 8 16:04:37 CDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:

> That can quite likely be easily fixed by making a small change to Scipy.
> An interesting point here is that the `gmres` routine on the other hand
> only passes the residual norm to the callback, so there would be also
> some other things to harmonize here.

Quick question, why is cg marked as deprecated?

Class Docstring:
    scipy.linalg.cg is DEPRECATED!! -- use scipy.sparse.linalg.cg instead

    Use Conjugate Gradient iteration to solve A x = b

While I perfectly understand that in production work, the typical use
cases require sparse matrices, there's still plenty of value for a
dense implementation of CG in scipy, I would think (especially given
how sparse matrices are a little harder to use for a beginner than
plain dense numpy arrays).

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,