[SciPy-User] Problems building SciPy on OS X due to ppc64 issues

Sun Oct 17 01:17:53 CDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:16 PM, Karl-Dieter Crisman
<kcrisman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, sorry for the delay.  This is on Intel OS X 10.6 (more than one
> machine).  The previous poster knows a lot about build stuff, but
> doesn't happen to have access to this type of system.
>
> We have tried the latest fixes to Numpy which just remove ppc64 (or do
> something smarter), and although that still might end up being an
> issue, it isn't this problem.  I think that Robert's is the correct
> analysis.  We are using gfortran-4.2 on Mac OS X 10.6 as an included
> binary in Sage to do fortran compiling (which works fine for R and
> Numpy, and until recently was fine for Scipy as well).  Also, I should
> point out that g95 works great for Scipy 0.8 on our OS X 10.4 machines
> (we are working on eventually migrating to gfortran, but unfortunately
> this is difficult because of Sage's "batteries included" philosophy),
> so different fortran compilers shouldn't be the issue per se, but the
> extra option appears to be - compiling object code twice, is that
> correct?
>
> I know very little about how compiler options are set, so I don't know
> where this would be coming from.  Where does this "compile options"
> line usually come from in a typical Scipy build?  Is it somewhere in a
> makefile or something (again, excuse my ignorance if this makes no
> sense, I'm only guessing blindly).

It comes from CCompiler_compile() in numpy.distutils.ccompiler.py. On
my system it looks like:

compile options:
'-I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/core/include
-c'
gfortran:f77: scipy/fftpack/src/dfftpack/dcosqb.f

No idea where the second '-c' comes from.

Ralf