[SciPy-User] FreeImage <-> numpy IO wrappers

Luis Pedro Coelho lpc@cmu....
Mon Oct 25 06:20:07 CDT 2010

Hi,

On Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:49:21 am Zachary Pincus wrote:
> > Whatever fixes you make, please remember to contribute them back to
> > scikits.image!  The plugin is being maintained there as well.
>
> Oh gosh, I didn't realize that -- great! (Did you ever diagnose that
> segfault?)

I made some of the changes to the scikits.image plugin when I "borrowed" this
for mahotas (my own image processing library [1]).

I did fix one or two bugs in dealing with memory so those might explain the
random segfaults.

[1] : http://luispedro.org/software/mahotas.

> Anyway, the only serious change I've made has to do with properly
> saving 2D uint8 images, which need to have a palette defined for
> certain formats (PNG maybe? I don't recall...). Anyway, the
> scikits.image version has diverged in structure somewhat from the one
> I use internally in my code, but here's the core of the change:

Another change I made was to get rid of some copies and make the Python
wrapping much faster. This is probably what you're seeing here.

HTH
Luis