[SciPy-User] ANN: Simple Structured Data Format (SSDF)

Almar Klein almar.klein@gmail....
Tue Oct 26 10:47:57 CDT 2010

On 26 October 2010 17:23, Joshua Holbrook <josh.holbrook@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting. Reminds me a little of YAML. Speaking of: How do you
> think this compares to YAML?

Well, I've never really used YAML, but looking at some example, here's a few
observations:

  * I think SSDF looks just a bit more natural. For example strings are just
as you'd define them in most programming languages (using quotes), while in
YAML it's a string if it can't be interpreted as anything else.
  * SSDF supports binary arrays (of any dimension and of most common types),
which are always compressed (using ZLIB).
  * SSDF is line based: there's one data element per line. This also means
that you cannot write multi line strings, which you can in YAML.

  Almar