[SciPy-User] Field Liner Tracing

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus@rath....
Fri Oct 29 12:43:11 CDT 2010

Gael Varoquaux <gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> writes:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 08:51:37AM -0400, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>> It would be wonderful to have a method like trace_field_lines((Vx, Vy, Vz), X,
>> Y, Z) where (Vx, Vy, Vz) are 3d numpy arrays containing the components of
>> the vector field and X, Y, Z 1d grids containing the grid coordinates.
>> Is there anything like that around already?
>
> If you just want plotting, there is:
>
> http://code.enthought.com/projects/mayavi/docs/development/html/mayavi/auto/mlab_helper_functions.html#enthought.mayavi.mlab.flow

Really interesting, thanks for the link.

Unfortunately I can't use for my specific problem. My field lines go
around in a circle, and I need to draw a Poincare plot (i.e., plot a
point at the r, z coordinates whenever the trajectory crosses a fixed
angle Phi). And in addition to that, I need to do some computations on
the trajectories, so a purely graphical output would solve only part of
the problem.

Is there anything else I could try?

Best,

   -Nikolaus