[SciPy-User] Central File Exchange for SciPy

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Sat Oct 30 08:39:46 CDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> Or if it doesn't fit put it somewhere and
>>> link it from http://www.scipy.org/Topical_Software
>>
>> That means buiding software packages, which is also more work than simply
>> dumping code on a webpage.
>
> It's probably worth pointing out that most Matlab utilities are Matlab
> only (no extensions), and the code dumped is usually just an archive
> that you unpack somewhere and put on your Matlab path.
>
> That's the rough equivalent of a python package that is pure python,
> and for which the install method is copying or linking the <mypackage>
> directory into some directory on your python path.
>
> I can imagine something like a 'snippet' distribution format, which is
> just a README file, and the <mypackage> directory.  Obviously if
> someone wanted to be more pypi about the whole thing, that would be
> easy too.

For plain python packages, "paster create" provides a full package
structure with just filling out a few questions

>paster create --list-templates
Available templates:
  basic_package:    A basic setuptools-enabled package
  complete:         Complete, documentable, testable Python project template

Just to be more pypi about it.
(The only explanation a very short google search provides, is how it
can be used for zope templates
http://plone.org/documentation/kb/use-paster)

Josef