[SciPy-User] Central File Exchange for SciPy

william ratcliff william.ratcliff@gmail....
Sat Oct 30 10:00:47 CDT 2010

If we could automate it, how much do you think the bandwidth/hosting costs
would be per month?   Would it be restricted to just code (that is just text
files, cutoff above a certain size)?  No bug tracking and a simple rating
system for packages? A section for comments about a given package.  The
submitter gives it up to 4 tags (for searching) and we start out with a
given list of topics and let people additional ones later?  People register
for an account (to reduce spam) or do we just use Openid or Openauth?
How do we deal with spam?  Do we allow people to sort packages by date?
 Rating?  Would people want to use Django?   What would we call it?  I'd be
willing to purchase a domain name and pay for hosting on webfaction to try
it out.  If it gets too pricey then I may have to ask for help later. (I
think we should avoid ads).    What would you guys like to call it?

PythonCentral (is that infringing?)?  ScipyExchange?

If anyone wants to help mock up a prototype in Django, I have some time next
week.  I have no design skills ;>

Finally, licensing--I don't want to start a flame war or anything, but can
we agree to make code on the site BSD, or should we allow the submitter to
pick an open source license.  If so, do we follow googlecode for the choice
of license?

One last question (sorry for so many),  given how many people already have
nice projects on github, sourceforge, googlecode, etc., should we provide an
option for people to simply link to their repository rather than provide us
with a direct copy of the code?  Actually, one model could be that people
host their code somewhere else and we merely provide an aggregation service
so people can easily see what's out there in the scientific python universe
and how the community has rated a given package.   That way, developers can
keep their existing codebases without changing their workflow....

William