[SciPy-User] Central File Exchange for SciPy

Almar Klein almar.klein@gmail....
Sat Oct 30 12:00:15 CDT 2010

On 30 October 2010 17:00, william ratcliff <william.ratcliff@gmail.com>wrote:

> If we could automate it, how much do you think the bandwidth/hosting costs
> would be per month?   Would it be restricted to just code (that is just text
> files, cutoff above a certain size)?  No bug tracking and a simple rating
> system for packages? A section for comments about a given package.  The
> submitter gives it up to 4 tags (for searching) and we start out with a
> given list of topics and let people additional ones later?  People register
> for an account (to reduce spam) or do we just use Openid or Openauth?
> How do we deal with spam?  Do we allow people to sort packages by date?
>  Rating?  Would people want to use Django?   What would we call it?  I'd be
> willing to purchase a domain name and pay for hosting on webfaction to try
> it out.  If it gets too pricey then I may have to ask for help later. (I
> think we should avoid ads).    What would you guys like to call it?

Woaw, I like your enthusiasm! However, let's first establish whether we
should discard Pypi or if we can maybe make it suitable for our needs with a
few changes (assuming that the rest of the Python community lets us make
these changes).

One maybe-downside is that Pypi is for Python in general. Is this a problem,
do we want something purely for science and engineering?

PythonCentral (is that infringing?)?  ScipyExchange?

If we're doing this, I guess it'd be science focused, so I suggest a name
with a reference to science of scipy.

> If anyone wants to help mock up a prototype in Django, I have some time
> next week.  I have no design skills ;>
>
> Finally, licensing--I don't want to start a flame war or anything, but can
> we agree to make code on the site BSD, or should we allow the submitter to
> pick an open source license.  If so, do we follow googlecode for the choice
> of license?

Given that Python is mainly BSD oriented, I would vote for making all code
hosted at the site BSD. Maybe that larger projects that are only referenced
(as you also suggested) may choose their own license.

(I actually own two non-BSD projects because I did not fully understand the
value/importance of the BSD license in the Python world. I was recently
convinced by a wise man and will convert both my projects to BSD.)

One last question (sorry for so many),  given how many people already have
> nice projects on github, sourceforge, googlecode, etc., should we provide an
> option for people to simply link to their repository rather than provide us
> with a direct copy of the code?  Actually, one model could be that people
> host their code somewhere else and we merely provide an aggregation service
> so people can easily see what's out there in the scientific python universe
> and how the community has rated a given package.   That way, developers can
> keep their existing codebases without changing their workflow....

I definitely think this is a good idea. The site would then serve the role
as the central place to search for scientific Python projects, without the
need for people to host their projects at two locations.

  Almar

PS: While writing this, Pauli also sent his response. I'm happy to see that
we agree on most topics :)

William