[SciPy-User] Central File Exchange for SciPy

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Sat Oct 30 18:19:15 CDT 2010

Hi,

> However I really take issue with the above statement and the notion of
> forcing a specific OSS licence choice onto users. First your statement
> above is factually not correct: GPL is a BSD compatible licence (in the
> usual meaning of this phrase)

BSD is GPL compatible (you can include BSD code in a GPL project and
still stay GPL) but not the other other way round.

You'll see that matlab file exchange does _enforce_ BSD - from the
page cited above:

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/FX_transition_faq.html

"Can I ask you to consider [my favorite license]?
No. For consistency, the BSD license will be the standard for the File
Exchange. "

Of course it's OK in general to have other licenses, but maybe as an
exception for this site, and thus linked-to rather than hosted.

Best,

Matthew