[SciPy-User] Central File Exchange for SciPy

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sat Oct 30 21:14:54 CDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Joshua Holbrook
<josh.holbrook@gmail.com> wrote:
> What I mean is more like, what if we could make a tool that basically
> tracks and organizes gists?
>
> Just an idea. I agree that it takes back seat to the essentials of a
> python file exchange kinda thing, so if this would just make things
> harder, disregard it.

Ah, I think I misunderstood you, sorry.  Yes, using gist as the
'backend' could work... I guess if it's possible to use a cross-site
authentication solution (OpenID or one of those things, I'm not very
familiar with those tools), then one option would be to offer upon
upload a checkbox 'Create gist for your contribution?'. If checked,
the system could automatically create the relevant gist and display a
prominent link to it on the snippet's page, fetch the code for display
and download from gist (getting versioning), etc.

I don't know how hard/practical it would be, but it's certainly an
intriguing idea.

Cheers,