[SciPy-User] Images as markers in matplotlib?

Joshua Holbrook josh.holbrook@gmail....
Tue Sep 7 16:00:12 CDT 2010

Hey y'all,

I recently read about Chernoff faces
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernoff_face) in one of Edward Tufte's
books (great read btw) and would like to mess around with them in
matplotlib.  My current approach is to generate the faces as images,
and then use them as markers on an x-y plot (like this example I
found). I just realized, though, that I have no idea how to
incorporate images as position markers in matplotlib, or if it's even
possible.  My search of the mpl docs didn't turn up much.

Any ideas?

(I know this isn't matplotlib-users, but I was having trouble figuring
out where to sign up for that list. If anyone wants would rather I ask
them, feel free to point out the sign-up page---I'd appreciate it.)

Thanks!

--Joshua holbrook