[SciPy-User] Making Python Lazy

Lorenzo Isella lorenzo.isella@gmail....
Thu Sep 9 05:25:37 CDT 2010

Dear All,
I hope this is not too off-topic.
I am wondering if there is any possibility to make a Python code lazy
i.e. to prevent it from calculating quantities which are not used in the
code.
As an example: you are in a rush to modify your code and at the end it
ends up with "dead branches", let's say an array which is calculated but
not used in any following calculations, not printed on screen, not
stored in a file etc...
It would be nice to teach Python to automagically skip its calculation
when I run the script (at least in a non-interactive way).
I know that such a situation is probably the result of bad programming
habits, but it may arise all the same.
If I understand correctly, what I am asking for is something different
from garbage collection, which would take place, if ever, only after the
array has been calculated.
Any suggestions (or clarifications if I am on the wrong track) are
appreciated.
Cheers

Lorenzo