[SciPy-User] weighted griddata

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Thu Sep 16 15:42:51 CDT 2010

Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:27:46 +0000, Pauli Virtanen wrote:
[clip]
> Data smoothing is a different problem than interpolation, and the
> algorithms in griddata cannot do it, and they are not easily modified to
> do it either.

No, I tell a lie, the Clough-Tocher 2D spline could easily be used for
weighed data smoothing. The only change needed would be to adjust the
gradient estimation routine so that instead of minimizing

	||surface curvature||

it would allow for changes also in the data points, and would minimize

	||weighed deviation from data points|| + ||surface curvature||

instead.

Interesting idea. I'll need to look up some literature before thinking
more about it -- this particular wheel must already be invented...

--
Pauli Virtanen