[SciPy-User] trouble installing scipy on Mac10.6.4 with Python2.7

Eric Schow eschow@uci....
Wed Sep 15 19:52:05 CDT 2010

Hi all,

I am new to Python and NumPy/SciPy, and I'm having trouble getting scipy installed on my machine.

I am working on an Intel Mac running OS 10.6.4, and I've recently updated the python installation to 2.7. I have installed NumPy 1.5.0, and I am trying to install scipy 0.8.0, which I downloaded as a tarball from sourceforge. I have gcc 4.2.1 installed (through Xcode), although the build process seems to be calling gcc4.0. I have gfortran, which I just re-installed from http://r.research.att.com/tools/, as suggested in the installation notes that came with scipy. The problem seems to be with gfortran, although I admit I'm a little out of my league as I try to troubleshoot this one. The log file is attached. Finally, I initiated the build with this command:

LDFLAGS="-arch x86_64" FFLAGS="-arch x86_64" python setup.py build

Any help on this issue will be appreciated. BTW, I would prefer to go with Python 2.7 (as opposed to 2.6, for which there is a .dmg available) because of its purported increased compatibility with Python 3.x.

Thanks a mole,

Eric