[SciPy-User] Installation of SciPy 0.8.0 for Python 2.7 on MacOS 10.6

Hans-Martin v. Gaudecker hmgaudecker@gmail....
Sun Sep 26 07:00:03 CDT 2010

On 25 Sep 2010, at 08:13, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Which Python are you using? Setting "-arch x86_64" should only be done if
> you use a home-built 64-bit capable Python or Apple Python, not for the
> Python from python.org.

Okay, I guess I thought that since python.org now provides a 64-bit version alongside the 32-bit one, this was the way to go when it failed without the flags...

> Are you using numpy 1.5.0? If so, try deleting 'ppc64' from
> distutils/fcompiler/gnu.py, that may fix the architecture errors. Also,
> don't use "sudo" to install.

Many thanks, I would not have been able to find that out myself... For the record, changing line 257 of that file from:

        for arch in ["ppc", "i686", "x86_64", "ppc64"]:

to:

        for arch in ["i686", "x86_64"]:

did the job for me, together with the standard "python setup.py install". All tests pass:

>>> scipy.test()

Ran 4405 tests in 54.433s

OK (KNOWNFAIL=19, SKIP=39)
<nose.result.TextTestResult run=4405 errors=0 failures=0>

If anybody is interested: I could not get it to work using numscons. On the MacBook Pro, the "Exception: Could not find F77 BLAS, needed for integrate package:" error showed up again. On the Mac Pro, it compiled, but the architecture error creeped back up.

Cheerio,
HM