[SciPy-User] numpy, scipy, and python 3

David Warde-Farley wardefar@iro.umontreal...
Mon Aug 1 19:52:08 CDT 2011

On 2011-08-01, at 8:36 PM, R. Padraic Springuel wrote:

> I read in the readme for numpy 1.6.1 and scipy 0.9.0 that both support
> python 3, but I can't find and Mac installation files for either package
> that work with any version of python 3.  Anyone know where I can get
> some or do I need to build from source (something I haven't done in a
> while, but should, theoretically, be able to do)?

I don't think Ralf has been building Python 3 binaries. I'm guessing that there isn't much demand, as other parts of the tool stack have yet to make the jump to Python 3 (notably matplotlib).

However, OS X is probably the easiest platform on which to build NumPy. SciPy, at last glance, required you grab a certain version of gfortran (this one: http://r.research.att.com/tools/ but check the docs in case this has changed), but is otherwise a straightforward "python setup.py build && sudo python setup.py install" affair as well. Let the list know if you have problems.

David