[SciPy-User] getting started with arrays and matplotlib

Jonathan Rocher jrocher@enthought....
Fri Aug 12 02:00:41 CDT 2011

Dear Chris,

for documentation about the Enthought Tools Suite (open source, BSD-like
licence), let me point you to
http://code.enthought.com/
Specifically about 2D visualization, Chaco is good at building interactive
plotting tools efficiently even with large datasets. Its entire
documentation can be found at
http://github.enthought.com/chaco/
The documentation is not perfect but you can definitely find lots of
examples to follow in the
Tutorials<http://github.enthought.com/chaco/user_manual/tutorial.html>section
as well as in the
gallery <http://code.enthought.com/projects/chaco/gallery.php>.

Hope this helps.
Jonathan

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Chris Withers <chris@simplistix.co.uk>wrote:

> On 09/08/2011 21:46, Dav Clark wrote:
> > Well, this is probably more basic than you want, but O'Reilly's "Data
> Analysis with Open Source Tools" is certainly a nice low-level intro for a
> beginner:
> >
> > http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596802363
> >
> > It's available on Safari Bookshelf, and also talks about using matplotlib
> (and R and GSL and ...). I'm unaware of any nice Chaco "narratives."
>
> Thanks to you and everyone else for the great suggestions :-)
>
> >> Now, first question: what's the best way to build this array given that
> >> I may only see the arrival of a new venue a fair way through building
> >> the data structure? How can I efficiently say "please add a new row to
> >> my array", I don't know what the 4th dimension equivalent is ;-)
> >
> > You might consider doing what matlab does under the hood and just double
> the array when you run out of space.
>
> What's the best way to do this?
>
> cheers,
>
> Chris
>
> --
> Simplistix - Content Management, Batch Processing & Python Consulting
>            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

Jonathan Rocher, PhD
Scientific software developer
Enthought, Inc.