[SciPy-User] Enthought Python Distribution questions

Aronne Merrelli aronne.merrelli@gmail....
Thu Aug 18 11:57:37 CDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Chris Withers <chris@simplistix.co.uk>wrote:

> On 18/08/2011 07:45, Jonathan Rocher wrote:
> > Correct, this isn't the appropriate mailing list. To request information
> > about EPD, you should contact info@enthought.com
> > <mailto:info@enthought.com> or epd-support@enthought.com
> > <mailto:epd-support@enthought.com> once you are a subsciber.
>
> I am a subscriber, so I just forwarded these questions there too :-)
> I have EPD 7.0-2 (32-bit) installed.
>
> > 1. EPD install its own python executable and libraries and doesn't
> > interfere with any existing installed instances of python. The PATH
> > environment variable allows you to select which one will be launched.
>
> Please can you verify that this is the case on MacOS X?
>
> > 2. EPD comes with a large number of code samples/examples for most of
> > the packages included, in particular the Enthought Tool Suite.
>
> Where would I find these on MacOS X?
>
> > The
> > documentation is not included though, to save download time.
>
> Where can I find a bulk download of all the docs for offline use?
>
> > It also
> > comes with a DocLinks folder with links to each package home page for
> > you to download the appropriate material.
>
> Again on Mac OS X, where would I find this DocLinks folder?

On my Mac (OS X 10.6.8), the EPD stuff is installed here: (there are
DocLinks and Example subdirectories):

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/

It looks like the "standard" python installations that come with MacOS are
here:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/

I also have several python versions installed by macports into /opt/local/.
I have not yet had any problems with different installations conflicting
with each other, they each seem to have their own files (so I'm wasting a
lot of disk space). My path is set to the EPD version which I almost always
use, but it is easy to change if needed; right now the few times I need
another version I just run it directly. (e.g. type /usr/bin/python)

Aronne